Sunday, March 29, 2015

Animation Mentor Assignment Ten and Eleven!

Wow! Time has sure flown by! I can't believe that I'm already done with my first class at AM! For our final assignment, we had to do another walk cycle, except this time we got to add some personality to our walk! One thing I've always wanted to Animate was a Moonwalk! I thought it would be a fun animation, plus I knew it would be a bit of a challenge. When animating a walk you don't want your character to slide, however, with a moonwalk, your character HAS to slide. I needed to find a happy medium where it looked like my character Ballie (Jean) was sliding with some weight! Like every other assignment at AM, the first step was to do some planning sketches.


Luckily for me I can actually Moonwalk, so I already knew this walk inside and out! I ended up watching a ton of videos of Michael Jackson doing the walk, so I could figure out some sort of spin I could add to the end of my walk. Unfortunately I'm not talented enough to do any crazy dance moves outside of the Moonwalk, so watching all of these old clips of MJ performing was more than just me getting to listen to some awesome music. After I had my idea planned out, I jumped into blocking. Again like I said in my last post I'll make sure to go more into the blocking step in future blog posts. After I got that approved by my mentor, I spent a ton of time working with the always amazing Lorenzo to get this walk to look as good as possible. Finally I ended up with this!


Well I hope you enjoyed this animation as much as I did! My next post will be my Demo Reel for the class and will have all of the finished animations. Thanks for reading!

~Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment