Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Joker

One of my all time favorite Villains has to be the Joker. There is just something about him that makes him the perfect villain. Now when I think of the Joker, I don't think of Heath Ledger's Joker. Don't get me wrong, Heath did a great job, but as a die hard comic fan, he didn't really capture what the Joker is. There are two people who I think perfectly take on the roll of the Joker, however for very different aspects. For the voice, there will only be one man who will be the Joker to me, and that is Mark Hamill. His voice is SPOT ON as to how I've always read the Joker, and I honestly don't think anyone else could play him better. When it comes to the look of the Joker, however, that role goes to Anthony Misiano. Anthony is a FANTASTIC cosplayer, and I'm pretty sure he was born for the sole purpose of becoming the Joker. If you take Anthony's look and Mark's voice, THAT is how I imagine the Joker. With that being said I decided I wanted to do a painting of my interpretation of the Joker.

The first thing I did was search the web for pictures of Anthony cosplaying. I found this awesome portrait of him, but I really wasn't a fan of the lighting, or the background. Similar to my last piece, I started out by drawing a grid and sketching out the piece, before using techniques I learned from Roger Fletcher's tutorials to paint the piece. Finally all that was left was to mess with levels and I was done!

I actually started this piece before the Captain America piece, but I placed it on hold for a bit because I really wanted to make sure I did this piece Justice (haha get it? Justice, like the Justice League? Gosh I'm hilarious). This piece probably took as long as the last one, mainly refining small details (like that left eye, which took forever!) I really love how this one turned out as it perfectly encapsulates the essence of the Joker.

Enjoy!

~Josh


So something cool that happened after I uploaded this image to facebook was I got THIS notification, asking me to tag whoever was in the photo. Guess I did a better job on this than I thought if facebook thought it was a real person!

2 comments:

  1. good job man, really captures the feel of the classic Joker

    ReplyDelete