Friday, August 30, 2013

Celestial Concept Art

So as some of you may know, I'm currently working on a short film called Celestial. When making a film, concept artists have to come up with a variety of ideas as to how the film might look, so that the modelers, texture artists, animators, and effects artists know what to do. Celestial takes place in two main locations; an ethereal Nebula environment and on an alien jungle planet. For both these locations we needed concepts for some very specific things. For the planet, we have a destruction sequence that we had fleshed out, but still needed some work. For the Nebula, we needed a look for our main characters workshop. I had recently read the Art of Monsters University and felt inspired to do some concept paintings, so I decided that I would tackle those two concepts.

This was my idea for the Planet destruction sequence. I wanted a wide shot in order to A) show the scale of our satellite character Titan B) increase the severity of how dangerous this planet had become.


This was my concept for Gan's workshop. As we wanted a design where Gan could look up and clearly see the star that inspires him, I went with a really open design. I looked at wooden domes for inspiration. I also messed with the color of our star as I had pitched an idea that its color had to be vastly different than the planets he created. I illustrated that by placing a green planet in the scene as well.


I'm really happy with how both of these concepts turned out, especially the workshop one, as I feel they conveyed the ideas I was going for really well. Regardless or not if these designs get selected by the Art Directors, I think that both of these paintings show progress in my painting skills and I'm very happy with them.

Enjoy!

~Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment